Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

i been served a subpoena to testify and I showed up on the

i been served a subpoena to testify and I showed up on the date and time mentioned. I was never called and never talk to. The trial was then continued on a different date. The lawyer called me and asked me why I wasn't on the court as a witness and demand me to come on the next trial. Is that okay for them to that even after I already showed up on my subpoena date. I was told that they will call a cop on me for contempt for not showing up on the next hearing?

Our justice system is many things, it isn't fast. I don't know if this will help you any, but this is actually a very common occurrence. Part of the problem is that there are just too many cases set on a daily basis. There may be a dozen or more cases all set for the same time. While the attorneys need to be prepared to go forward on each of those cases, they just can't all go forward that day and those cases then get continued to another day. And, of course, the witnesses then need to return on another day.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was never told to come back for the next hearing date. I just got a call that I should have been in court. My lawyer told me that I need to be subpoena again for me to show up but the other lawyer said that my original subpoena is still in effect. Is this true?

Yes, a subpoena remains in effect until the issuing attorney states otherwise. Having said that, the attorney certainly should provide the witness with all court dates.

.
.
.
.