Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

my mother sister and i are victims of domestic violence, its

my mother sister and i are victims of domestic violence, its psychological violence more than physical. there is a documentation process of permanent resident for my sister and me. we asked for the police help and they did not care. if we move away from home. can this person stop the legal process of permanent residence?. what can we do to get help?.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by "psychological violence"? Also, by "permanent residence", are you referring to an immigration issue? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he is an alcoholic abuser. i mean by psychological violence that he is yelling everyday to my mother , to me and in front of my little sister. he insults us saying different kind of words. all you can imagine, he is threatening us saying " i will call immigration to stop your permanent residence process(for me and my sister) .my mother is permanent resident, but we (my sist and me) are not. the problem is that he is the petitioner and he says" if someone call me to sign for you i wont do it".he is always throwing stuffs everywhere.Last week he got a knife and stared to my mother saying that something wrong would happen to her if she does not obey. he says," i'm the boss here".Even he knows my mother has respiratory problems, he smokes inside the house .we are tired of this situation every single time he gets drunk. we do not want to leave the home and that he call the police saying we abandoned. Can this affect our permanent residence process? how can we solve this problem legally?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Your questions are primarily in regards XXXXX XXXXX issues. I am not well-versed in the area of immigration law and therefore cannot assist you in this matter.
.

I will send your question to the correct section. It may be some time before an appropriate Expert is able to address your question. There is no need to wait on-line as an email will be sent to you when an Expert in that area is available.

.

There is no need to respond to this post as it will only be sent to me.

.

Thank you for your patience and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Your response has sent this back to me. So again, please do not respond. Thank you.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

How long have you been in the US? When did you start the process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we have been in this country for 2 years . we started that process 1 year ago. my sister and i already got the finger prints for the permanent resident. does he have to sign any document for us?

Thank you for your follow-up. I appreciate the additional details.

The reason I asked about your time in the US, is because generally you have the ability to seek citizenship rights once you have been married for two years. This is called a 'provisional green card', and is granted while married. You can file via USCIS to request that they permit you to file separately on grounds of abuse, in essence after the two years you can seek your own rights. But if it as yet has not been two years, you would need to obtain a different sponsor for yourself and your sister.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.