How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw , Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I commissioned a diamond dealer to sell some jewelry for me

This answer was rated:

I commissioned a diamond dealer to sell some jewelry for me back in December 2011. I was informed that he sold the jewelry in April 2012. I received a check for 1/2 of the amount in April 2012. I received a check for 1/4 of the amount in July 2012. I am now trying to collect the last 1/4 amount by making phone calls to the jeweler. I received a check for the final 1/4 amount in December 2012; however the check was returned for non sufficient funds, and my bank charged me $10.00. I have I received a check for partial payment the end of March, deposited it in my account and learned today that it was returned for insufficient funds. My husband placed a call to the jeweler today and was told that he was sorry and would send another check right away. He stated that he would make payments until it was paid in full because business was slow. It has been a year since he sold the jewelry; yet I have not received the money, and would like to know what to do. This is in Florida; should I send a certified letter demanding the money and should I ask an attorney to help me collect?

Thank you for your question.

Are you in the same city as the jeweler?

How much is the outstanding amount owed?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, jeweler is in Miami, I'm north of Tampa, FL.
$7,195 owed


Thank you for your response.

The fact that the jeweler is bouncing checks is troubling. First of all, if you sue him the question will be whether there is anything to collect. You could always obtain a judgment and seize some of his inventory to sell at auction.

Because the amount is over $5,000, you will be required to file suit in county or district court rather than in the small claims court. This means it would be best to hire an attorney to do the claim.

Further, since the jeweler is in Miami, it would be easier to hire an attorney from Miami to handle the claim for you.

Before spending the money to hire an attorney, I agree with you that a certified letter setting an absolute deadline and stating that if payment is not made by a certified check then you will hire a lawyer and sue the jeweler.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further working together on your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I send a cc of the letter to anyone in the court system, i.e. State's Attorney Office? or do I wait until the 7 days has elapsed before contacting the States Attorney Office?

The Attorney General's office is not likely going to help you in this situation, as there doesn't sound like there is "intent to defraud" which is what you have to establish for a hot check to become a criminal matter.

So, no need to CC anyone. The letter simply needs to give the jeweler one last chance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thank you.

Your welcome. Please remember to rate my answer!

Best Regards,

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions