TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Real Estate Seminar referred/paid lawyer

Customer Question

I went through a "real estate seminar" in which I was referred to a lawyer to get a living trust drawn up. I live in CA, and was referred to a lawyer in Nevada. I paid the Real Estate seminar people, where in turn, they paid the lawyer. I was not happy/satisfied at all with the work of the lawyer.I wanted to get my money back.The "seminar people" whom I paid, said that the work was completed, and the money would not get returned.  The work was not completed sufficiently, and I can not get in touch with the lawyer.  Only one of dozens of phone calls and e mails have ever been returned. I then went to a new lawyer in CA, where she mentioned that, at least in CA, it was illegal to pay a 3rd party. for a lawyer.Is this true for Nevada?  I want to get $ back for insufficient work and the fact that I cannot get in touch with him for questions and changes needed in the trust.?

Also, can a lawyer practicing in Nevada, draw up a trust for a resident of California?  I will give you the lawyers name if needed

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Yes, in Nevada this arrangement would be illegal as an improper sharing of attorney's fees. Nevada Supreme Court Rule 188 provides that "a lawyer or law firm shall not share legal fees with a nonlawyer."

In this situation, unless the people conducting the seminar were also lawyers, then it was illegal for them to collect the fee and share in that fee.

Please let me know if you have further question. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to look up, and see if they are considered lawyers? It's called Performance Advantage Group: Armando Montelongo Companies. Please see attached for his letter/agreement that he initially sent to me.

Attachment: 2013-04-04_234321_mccolgin-agreementforprovisionoflegalservices.zip

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

I'll see what I can find. Please be patient while I try to access this information.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Thank you. I have been so upset and disappointed with the trust lawyer. So, to reitterate...I paid the Asset Protection $1900+. They referred me to this lawyer. When I told the lawyer I wanted my money back for services not rendered, etc...he told me that I paid Asset Protection and take it up with them...

Thanks so much for your help.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
As far as I can tell, this group is not a law firm.

I suggest you contact the Nevada State Bar and file a complaint against the trust lawyer regarding this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you. I did call them first, and they could not give me "advice"...only file the complaint. So, now that I know this activity is not legal, I will do that. Thank you very much for your help. Can I use your information as part of my complaint?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Of course! You are welcome!

-ZDN