Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

I left Best Buy almost a year ago and was their qualifying

Customer Question

I left Best Buy almost a year ago and was their qualifying party for licensing to operate their installation business in NM. Someone from the company has been keeping the license up to date without my consent. I am sure they have made thousands of dollars using my name/license. Is their any recourse for this, is this a lawsuit that I should pursue? Any info in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jesse Garcia
Expert:  Jack R. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you can somehow quantify the value they are receiving you can file for damages. There is a civil action for unjust enrichment which deals with gains made by a party for which they are not otherwise entitled at the expense of the plaintiff. This action presumes no contract was in place.

There might be an action fraud or intentional misrepresentation by using your licensing to establish business. The issue is that it may be difficult to establish you are the one defrauded.

You can also ask for an injunction to stop best Buy from using your license/name as the basis for obtaining business.

Please press ACCEPT at the appropriate service level so I may get credit for my answer.