Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A friend was issued a citation for operating a vehicle in Arizona

A friend was issued a citation for operating a vehicle in Arizona without record of insurance or registration in 2006. SHe has never been notified beyong the ticket issued on the day she was stopped. She received a letter today to call or visit the court in Flagstaff Arizona and declare if she wanted to present the documents of insurance an registration, or serve jail time, or pay a fine. When she called, they quoted a payment amount and tolde her to call for a payment plan. In reviewing some internet sites, it seems there is a statute of limitations for such prcedure of 36 months. SHe has never had her license suspended nr been denied vehicle registration in the 7 years since the ticket. Please advise.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If they failed to prosecute this citation within 36 months, the statute of limitations has expired and it is grounds for her to file a motion to dismiss the case. She needs to file a motion to dismiss the charges based on the statute of limitations and lack of notice and failure to prosecute within the 3 year statute of limitations. Generally, the court will dismiss because it appears from what you are saying this ticket fell through the cracks and that is why she never received notice of trial.

However, she needs to check to see if the citation was entered as a guilty because of a failure to appear, since failure to appear stops the statute of limitations from running. If there was a failure to appear entered against her, then I am afraid the court will not dismiss and she will have to make a deal with the court on fines and payments (but this does not sound like what happened because the letter is giving her the option to plead not guilty and present evidence, which makes it more likely she would get it dismissed for failure to prosecute in 3 years)

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”