Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My 19 year old son was in Manchester township with friends

My 19 year old son was in Manchester township with friends to go quading on what he thought was a guad and dirt bike areas in the new jersey Pines. As he and 4 or 5 other vehicles turned off a blacktop road way Police with lights stopped them and issued tickets for trespassing (2c:18-3b2). His court appearance is 4/17/13 should I have a lawyer with him or do we appear and if court will not make a ordinance offence and hold to a statute can I then request a lawyer. And do you know what the cost could be? Thank You Kurt XXXXXXXX ps he and 3 friends were in one of my company pickups am I liable for anything? This is his first offence ever.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If this is his first offense, while having an attorney from the beginning to negotiate a deal with the prosecutor to drop this to an offense instead of a statutory violation, it is not mandatory. You can seek to save the $500-$1000 (depending on the attorney you use) and go to court on the first appearance and have him plead not guilty and then ask to speak to the prosecutor and feel the prosecutor out. Some prosecutors are more willing to work with defendants than others. If the prosecutor you get that day is not willing to work, then you need to just leave the not guilty plea and return with an attorney to try to work out a deal.

You would not be in any additional trouble because they were using one of your trucks, only your son and his friends have the issue to deal with.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”