Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Im being accused of sexually assaulting my girlfriends daughter

I'm being accused of sexually assaulting my girlfriend's daughter by my girlfriend's roommate. From what I've been told and understand is that my girlfriend supposedly owes this roommate money for babysitting and since she did not recieve payment she has been trying her hardest to get my girlfriend's kids taken away by reporting her for neglect and this false accusation of sexual assault. It seems pretty extreme over some money yes, but I'm innocent and my girlfriend knows it, as well as my friends and roommates know it.... The detective already interviewed me and her daughter. The problem is, is my girlfriend's daughter is four years old and has been brainwashed by the roommate to answer that I "touched" her and where I "touched" her. I'm getting all this information from my girlfriend and what she believes is going on, because I'm honestly an innocent bystander in all this and am just going off of what she tells me. What do I need to do from here??
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

I would urge you to consider hiring a criminal defense attorney. As I suspect you know, these allegations are extremely serious. A conviction for this sort of offense could lead to incarceration and a label of a sex offender. Such a label would drastically effect your future, including where you live and work and having your picture and name put all over the internet as a convicted sex offender.

.

Based on what you have stated thus far, it seems that there is very little evidence against you. However, making any further statements could certainly lead to additional evidence against you. Conversely, if you hire an attorney, the attorney could intervene on your behalf and handle any inquiries from law enforcement.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forsee this happening, the roommate is going to lie to the detective and say that my girlfriend's daughter came to her and told her that I "touched" her. I know for a fact that a physical examination of my girlfriend's daughter is going to come back negative. So do I just wait this out and when do you think if and when it's best to hire an attorney????

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

In my opinion, the sooner the better. I say this as, once damage is done, it may be impossible to fix it. If finances are a significant issue and you need to wait, I would certainly suggest you consider hiring an attorney no later than the next time law enforcement asks you for a statement or any other form of cooperation.

.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to explain to the detective that the whole reason we were even talking to each other is because of this dispute between my girlfriend and her roommate, but she was only focusing on the allegation. I need to know what to do about making the detective see the truth in this whole matter. How will an attorney help me with this??? I already gave my statement. I don't see the police questioning me again on the same matter. How will this attorney help me prove my innocence??

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Please keep in mind that it isn't about proving your innocence, rather it's about ensuring that the government cannot prove your guilt. Believe it or not, those are two very different things.

.

As of right now, it appears that law enforcement does not have the probable cause necessary to make an arrest. If they did, they likely would have done so by now. As the goal is to avoid an arrest, your situation cannot get any better than it is right now. If you cooperate any further, whether by making an additional statement (and yes, law enforcement will often speak to suspects on more than one occasion) or providing any physical evidence, you will not be improving your situation, that being to avoid arrest. Instead, you will merely be giving them more information, information that they may interpret as now giving them the necessary probable cause to make an arrest.

.

It is these issues that an attorney can help with. The attorney can speak with the police, address each request on a case-by-case basis and help you make an informed and intelligent decision as to how to proceed. An attorney can also relay information and evidence to law enforcement (if it is deemed appropriate) on your behalf rather than having you do it directly. If done in this fashion, it makes it less likely that the information could be used against you in court as it came from a different source.

.
.
.
.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law