BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and completed everything, hearing,

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and completed everything, hearing, pre and post filing education, ect. My discharge date was 3/25/13. I just received a letter today from the US Bankruptsy Court that a hearing has been set to determine whether or not "discharge should enter for failure to file the debtor's certification of completion of postpetition instructional course concerning personal financial management. I took a pre-filing and a post-filing course for this bankruptcy and the certificates were sent to my lawyer. I asked her prior to the discharge date if she had everything she needed and she said yes. Why do I need another hearing? I was under the impression that after the discharge date everything was done.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. You need to follow up with your attorney so they file the certificate and form needed. As you know there is one pre-filing certificate and another post-filing.

BizAttorney :

When you file, you attach the pre-filing certificate, whereas the attorney needs to file a form with the post-petition certificate.

BizAttorney :

Just escalate the call with your attorney and demand that they file the form and post-petition certificate as the hearing is not usually necessary.

BizAttorney :

I've done many bankruptcies and that hearing is only if the attorney fails to do his/her job correctly.

Customer:

Okay, thank you so much!