Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

My mother is being sued in a limited civil case in California

My mother is being sued in a limited civil case in California (car accident). I do not provide any support to her other than allowing my mother to live with me rent free. I do not declare my mother as a dependent and we share no assets. My mother is 85yrs old and only receives Social security and $500 from my fathers retirement as her only income. I am not named in the civil case, but since there is obviously no easy way for the Plantiff to collect ($11,000 plus 7% interst) from my mother. Is there any chance I might be liable or sued as well because my mother lives with me?
Was she driving your car?
Why isn't her insurance handling this suit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, she was driving her leased car. The car dealer told her that they had contacted her insurance company with her new lease car information. It turned out they did not and when the accident occurred several months later her insurance compaany refused to cover the accident since the new lease car was not on the policy
Dear JACUSTOMER - You would have no liability for her accident if you didn't allow her to drive your car. She may have a claim against the dealer who said they would notify her insurance but ultimately it is the driver's responsibility to make certain they are insured so she will have to defend the suit and then sue the dealer as a third party defendant. In any case, I see no liability on your part.