WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I have a signed and notarized promissory note for a loan between

I have a signed and notarized promissory note for a loan between two family members. The letter was typed up and signed by person owing the loan. They are now saying they won't pay it back. Is what I have enforceable?

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If both parties signed the note it would be enforceable, and you can sue the other party based upon the signed contract,

WALLSTREETLAW :

Their is no rule that an official contract has to be signed, and language that can be authenticated is valid,

Customer:

And I would need to hire a local lawyer to enforce it correct?

WALLSTREETLAW :

and would show the intent of the partied involved.

Customer:

It was signed, dated, and notarized.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Yes, an attorney would be best to enforce such an agreement, also have a copy of any checks or bank statements showing the transfer of funds to the other party

Customer:

It was a real estate agreement. She allowed him to sale the joint property. He then put the amount of the condo down on the loan, stating that he owed her that amount.

WALLSTREETLAW :

that would be enforceable, and the condo transaction should be used as evidence that such an agreement went through and the other party received a benefit for the money given.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

Thank you.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and you should contact a local litigation or contract attorney to represent you. If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.

Customer:

Okay I will look for a contract attorney in my area. Will give the positive feedback now.

WALLSTREETLAW :

thank you,