Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

Please let me know how this would affect me. I am divorced,

Please let me know how this would affect me. I am divorced, however, I am the executor of her estate as is she for me and we are the sole beneficiaries for each other. What is the procedure and are there allowed any exclusion. I understand that this may be a new rule. I am aware that it goes to probate but am primarily concerned about any exclusions that may be exempt from being taxed.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

- What do you mean by exclusions.

- Have you redone your wills since your divorce ?

Thanks, Jack

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The will were made as part of the divorce so they can't be changed. The heading on this article the heading reads IS Estate-Tax Portability Permanent. Here is an "quote For someone dies in 2013 , the basis federal estate tax tax exclusion is 5,250,000."
Expert:  Jack R. replied 3 years ago.
How much money is in each of your estate ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
mine is about 350,000 hers is about 50,000
Expert:  Jack R. replied 3 years ago.

The current federal tax exclusion is over 5.25 million dollars. That means that until you hit the 5.25 Million dollar level no federal estate tax exists., This number varies each year. A couple of years ago there was no limit. Florida does not currently have an estate tax.

There is no procedure to be eligible for the exclusion. When the estate is probated the executor file an estate tax return an the exclusion amount is entered on that return and subtracted from what the estate value is. If the number is XXXXX than or equal to zero no tax is owed..

Please remember to press ACCEPT and select the appropriate rating. If you have follow up questions please ask.