Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

[2] Debit Gift Cards Stolen. Do I need a court order or

[2] Debit Gift Cards Stolen.

Do I need a court order or other paper work, to access the security camera pictures taken at the time of the purchase?
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is yes, unless the owner of the camera footage is willing to provide it voluntarily.

If not, then if you seek this footage, you have to subpoena it. A subpoena is essentially a request backed by the Court wherein you demand evidence from a third party that has it, which is reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence.

However, that subpoena is only available once the litigation is filed, not before. So one you have filed the suit, even before serving the Defendant (or if you do not know who the Defendant is and they are a John Doe for now), you may subpoena the third party for these tapes.

Subpoena come in two types:

subpoena ad testificandum - requests a person to come; and

subpoena duces tecum - requests the evidence to be delivered.

The clerk of the court normally has to sign off/stamp the subpoena before it is sent off via certified mail or delivered via sheriff's office (your choice). For a form of the subpoena, one can visit or, etc.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.