Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

is a transient vendor who signed a contract to vend at a motorcycle

is a transient vendor who signed a contract to vend at a motorcycle show but cannot attend because of loss of employees and gave notice that they will not attend still bound by the contract? We have not paid for the vending spot which I was supposed to pay for after March 18. The contract is from Virginia and the company is in Florida. The show is in Virginia.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that the reason people use written contracts is to bind the parties to agreements they make. Courts in VA will hold both parties to the terms of any written contract as written. Thus, if the vendor signed this contract, unless the contract has a cancellation provision in the contract itself, I am afraid the vendor is going to be bound by the terms of the contract they signed and the vendor can be sued for breach of contact and forced to pay whatever the terms of that contract state they bound themselves to pay.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I'm still bound even no money was exchanged

Thank you for your follow up.

I am afraid that under FL and VA law, there is no requirement that money be actually exchanged to have a valid contract. A valid contract requires a writing where the two parties agree upon the object of the contract and the price of the contract, not that the price be actually paid at the time of signing or before the contract becomes valid. The contract is valid from the moment the parties agree and you signed the contract, unless the contact has some provision to the contrary.