Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

can a city in Texas require a construction permit if they do

can a city in Texas require a construction permit if they do not have a code enforcement officer?
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. The answer is yes, if the city's code of ordinances has an ordinance that demands such a permit.

Of course, not all municipalities have a code enforcement officer. If not, then it makes it ever much so harder for the city to enforce the matter, as there is no one individual tasked with enforcement. However, this may still be done in that the city's attorney may file a complaint with the Court against the individual, still, even without a code enforcement officer.

So yes, this may still be demanded, I am afraid (but again, only if the code of ordinances permit it).

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.