Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ive been trying to add funds to my justanswer account this

Customer Question

I've been trying to add funds to my justanswer account this morning. I hope they went.
Anyway, my next question is, if a person commits perjury in a federal civil trial would it be the federal department of justice that would normally be in charge of prosecuting such a case of perjury?
Also if the federal DOJ fails to prosecute an instance of perjury that occurs during a federal trial, can the district attorney of the state in which the perjury was committed file state charges?
I don't suppose so but want to be sure.
Thanks, Phil
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend,

Thank you for requesting me. I trust you are well, and I hope that you had a good Easter weekend (or simply a restful weekend if Easter is not your cup of tea).

I do not know of your billing information as I have no access to it, but I am going to assume it is fine - let me know if you have any issues.

Not necessarily. In a civil suit, the United States Attorney's Office (the prosecutorial post for the U.S. Dept. of Justice) generally would decline to prosecute a witness' false statement. I am afraid that people lie under oath all the time, or at least stretch the truth. Because they have limited man hours and resources, the United States Attorney's Office concentrates on prosecuting individuals who lie in criminal proceedings...

One can always make a complaint, of course, but, it is up to the US Attorney's office to decide.

I am afraid not. Since this is federal court, the federal system (US attorney) has jurisdiction here.

I am sorry for the information being not exactly what you has wished to hear.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your generosity.