How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19439
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. A few years ago I was working at a company and they let

Customer Question

Hi. A few years ago I was working at a company and they let me go for stealing, which I didn't fight and I should have. But I went ahead and paid the amount that they said I stole PLUS their $350 fee for their attorney. I never went to court nor did I get arrested. Is there anything I can do to get this taken off my record so I can get a decent job? I am in Texas.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information and your question, however, I am unclear what kind of "record" you are referring to since you say you never went to court or were arrested. Are you saying the company sued you for the amount they said you took and are telling perspective employers that you were terminated for theft? If not, please clarify what record it is that you want to have cleared up and what it says.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My background check. I just had an interview last week and the company called me and said my background didn't clear and gave me a number to call. So I called and it didn't clear because the other company had put the incident on my background check. I don't know if I can have it removed so I don't have this issue again.


Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.
Hello again and thank you for your reply. There is a disconnect here someplace, because background checks, other than actual contact with a previous employer for references, only show criminal records and credit reports from the credit reporting agencies. You didn't tell me whether or not you were sued, so I can't guess whether or not this is on your credit report legally or illegally. If you were actually sued, then it is on your credit report legally and should come off within two years of when it was resolved. If you were not sued, but this is still on your credit report, then you will need to straighten this out with the credit reporting agencies and your former employer. That may require getting an attorney involved. Without knowing though who you called I have no way of knowing the complete picture here. If you believe that this was on your credit report, then you have to get a copy of it and deal directly with the credit bureaus as I mentioned above.

If this was on your credit report, perspective employers are required by law to give you an actual physical copy of what they receive after the background check showing the problem. That is required under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Otherwise, there is nothing else that would be on a "background check" other than a criminal record (must have been charged in criminal court) or credit history. On the other hand, if they meant that they called your prior employer for a job reference, then that is completely different. If your prior employer is saying that you were terminated for misconduct due to theft, then if you have proof that this is a false statement, you can find a personal injury attorney and sue them for defamation of character. That is the only way to permanently stop them from saying that you stoled from them unless they will stop voluntarily.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wasn't taken to court or even arrested and I wasn't sued. Their attorney sent me a paper with the total amount stated that was stolen plus their attorney fee. They told me if I paid the amount that it would stay off my record. So I did so. No police. No court. Just the paper and I paid it off within the year. So I don't know if you would count that as "sued" but I did get a paper and I did pay it off. Let me know if this helps at all.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Well if you weren't sued, this shouldn't be on your credit report. So, you still want to get a copy of your credit report to make sure nothing in on there that shouldn't be. If this is on there, then you will need to send a copy of your paid in full letter to the credit agency and explain the situation so they will remove it. If you have difficulty with that, you may need the assistance of a local attorney.

If this is not on your credit report, then the only way a prospective employer would know about this is by an actual reference from the prior employer. Please see what I said about that in my initial reply as that is the process you will need to follow if this is coming from your prior employer.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any more follow up questions for me from the question I answered for you on the 1st. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings that the customer thinks have gone through.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue if needed.

Thank you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions