Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

If you are in a cvil suit and a judgement is made against you

If you are in a cvil suit and a judgement is made against you say for 50000.00 dollars,would and you don't have that kind of money can a judge make you sell your house and everything that you own to pay this debt?

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

FiveStarLaw :

Would you please tell me what state your house is located in as the laws of each state differ slightly

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Massachusetts

Thank you for your response.

In Massachusetts $500,000 in home equity is protected from the claims of creditors. This means that if you have less than $500,000 in equity in your home, your home is not subject to sale to pay a court judgment.

If the equity in your home exceeds $500,000, the court may order the sale of the home however the first $500,000 from the sale would be paid to you. Even in such a case where the equity exceeds $500,000, the courts do not typically dispossess homeowners

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.