Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My mother, a licensed psychologist and practicing therapist

My mother, a licensed psychologist and practicing therapist recently committed suicide. She recently had a complaint brought against her to The Board of Health Professions. I am the sole beneficiary of her assets. If I were to accept the estate, would open myself up to potential liability associated with her practice?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My condolences to you on your loss. To answer your question directly, accepting the estate does not open you up personally for any liability, the estate itself would have to defend against the suit, if the suit is filed and ends up prevailing. But you personally are not a party to the suit, you may end up being responsible in the role of an executor or administrator of her estate if you are put in that capacity, but it is essentially being a manager of the holdings, there is no personal liability and your personal assets are not at risk.

Good luck.