Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Vehicle Reposession Laws in Delaware

Vehicle Reposession Laws in Delaware
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please allow me to assist you.

If I may ask, is there anything specific you are seeking, or just a brief summary? There are many laws that may govern, I want to make sure I touch upon exactly what you wish for me to review. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to know is there any requirements/laws to reposess vehicles in Delaware?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to start a vehicle reposession service/company in Delaware and need to know is there any license required to run this entity besides a business license?

Thank you for your follow-up, Chet.

My apologies on the delay, I was tracking down the requirements below. Here are the steps as set out by the State of Delaware:

Requirements for a Repossessor

1. Must complete an Application for Delaware Dealership License (Form MV29) that shall include a criminal history background check and a Signature Authorization (Form MV26) before obtaining repossession tags.
  2. Delaware driver’s license must have been issued to individual owners at least 90 days prior to issuance of the repossession plate. May be waived for businesses that are incorporated in Delaware.
  3. Must check with the Division of Motor Vehicles for availability of business name. If the name requested is already in use or close to another dealership’s name, it will be necessary to choose another business name.
  4. Must have an office located on the premises with a desk and filing cabinet adequate to maintain records.
  5. Dealer tags and records must be maintained at the address shown on the Application for Dealership License and available for inspection by duly authorized agents of the Division of Motor Vehicles, law enforcement officers and the Attorney General’s Office.
  6. Must have a telephone installed in the office and listed in the business name. Must attach documentation to application.
  7. Must have proof of liability insurance coverage showing how many dealer tags are insured attached to the application.
  8. A business is only required to register with the Prothonotary's office if they are using a "doing business as" (DBA) which is a different name from the corporation. There is a filing fee. Listed below are the addresses and telephone numbers for each county:
    New Castle CountyKent CountySussex County
    New Castle County Courthouse
    500 North King Street
    Lower Level 1
    Wilmington, DENNN-NN-NNNNbr/> Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
    Kent County Courthouse
    XXXXXbr/>Dover, DE 19901
    Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
    Sussex County Courthouse
    XXXXXbr/> Suite 2
    Georgetown, DE 19947
    Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
  9. Must obtain an annual business license from the Division of Revenue, and a copy must be attached to the Application for Delaware Dealership License. If the business is within city or town limits, a city business license must be obtained as well. Listed below are the addresses and telephone numbers for each county:
    Division of Revenue
    Carvel Office Bldg.
    820 N. French St.
    Wilmington, DE 19801
    Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
    Division of Revenue
    XXXXX XXXXX Bldg.
    540 S. Dupont Hwy.
    Suite A
    Dover, DE 19901
    Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
    Division of Revenue
    XXXXX
    Suite 2
    Georgetown, DE 19947
    Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
    or: Toll Free(NNN) NNN-NNNN(in Delaware only)
  10. Must obtain a Delaware personal criminal history from the Delaware State Bureau of Identification,XXXXX, Dover, Delaware 19901(NNN) NNN-NNNNin Kent County; Troop 4, on the corner of Shortly Road and Route 113, across from the DMV in Sussex County,(NNN) NNN-NNNN Troop 2, on Rt. 40, in Bear, just west of the Fox Run Shopping Center, between Rt. 72, and Rt. 896(NNN) NNN-NNNN There is a charge for this service.
  11. Only after inspection of the business location and approval by the Division of Motor Vehicles, can a license be issued to an applicant.
  12. Repossessor licenses expire on December 31 of each year and may be renewed 90 days prior to expiration. The fee for each repossessor tag is $10.00. All repossessor tags must be approved by the Director and can, at any time, be suspended.
  13. Repossessor licenses allow only for the transport and sale of the repossessed vehicle.
  14. Cause must be shown if more than one plate is to be issued.
  15. A Dealer’s Notification of Used Vehicle Received (MV60 Form) must be filed with the Division of Motor Vehicles on every vehicle acquired by the repossessor.
  16. A repossessor is not permitted to operate in the same location with another repossessor.

Please let me know if you need anything further!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.