How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jack R. Your Own Question

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

I sold a 1999 Ford Taurus car to a private party in August 2012 in Michigan. This private party ran a dealership, however car was sold to him personally as car was of low value. I accepted $400.00 cash for car and signed over title to this individual. I foolishly did not ask for a bill of sale as I was in a rush to leave the country as I had a job overseas. I did take my registration plate, which I still have.


In March 2013, my contact in the U.S. received notification that I have received multiple parking citations at “Central City Parking” in Kalamazoo, MI. I ran my reg. plate on their website and the citation was for a KIA car and NOT a Ford. I am overseas at the moment and back in the U.S. next week. My question now is: from a legal standing point, what are the next steps from here? Thank you.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jack R. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.


There are a couple of things you can try when you return. You can call up the clerk that handles these tickets and explain the situation. You will probably be told as the registered owner of the vehicle you are responsible for the citations. You should ask whether there is any type of documentation you could provide to get the correct owner responsible for the tickets e.g. an affidavit attesting to ownership during the period the tickets were written.


Second, you could pay the tickets and sue the dealer in small claims to get your money back. You would need to somehow prove a sale had occurred. If you were paid by check this might be sufficient to establish you sold the vehicle (the bank could provide you with a copy of the check you deposited).


Third Michigan has specific rules dealing with registering and titling a vehicle. I know you stated this was a personal purchase by a dealer bur the law may still apply. You should ask the dealer to reimburse you the cost of the tickets.


If you found this answer useful please press ACCET along with the appropriate level of service. If you have further questions please ask before issuing a negative rating.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.