Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I have a money judgment from a Michigan court. I want to garnish

Customer Question

I have a money judgment from a Michigan court. I want to garnish the debitor's employer who is in Washington and California, however, payroll is out of the Seattle office. The Debitor is a resident of Calfornia and on his pay stubs, it shows he pays California taxes.

Do I need to domesticate the money judgment in Washington or California??
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Typically you would domesticate it in the state where he is employed. The garnishment order can then be served on is employer there and they would be obligated to garnish the wages pursuant to the laws of that state, regardless of where the payroll checks are actually cut.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please don't issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.