JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I broke my leg on sept. 26 2011 I paid my hospital bill off

I broke my leg on sept. 26 2011 I paid my hospital bill off in six month in full. A year and a half later they send me a bill for 389.00 in feb of 2013. Am I obligated to pay for something they for got to bill me for?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. Can you please help me understand what is the nature of their billing error? What caused it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know why they were late with the bill. I even sent a letter disputing the bill since they were so late sending it. The insurance company won't accept a bill from a hospital if it is over 90 days, I don't think I should have to pay for there mistakes. They said they are going to turn me over to collection if I don't pay it. I have excellent credit but I don't think I should have to pay for there mistake.

From the facts you've described, the hospital had a fiduciary responsibility to timely bill the insurance company. From the facts you've described, the hospital breached the duty to timely bill.

An option to consider is to contact and file a complaint with the Nevada Bureau of Health Care Quality & Compliance (HCQC) against the hospital. There are two different individuals who receive / intake such complaints:

Megan Forslind (Carson City) (NNN) [email protected]

Johna Thacker (Las Vegas) (NNN) NNN-NNNNext. 226 [email protected]

Be sure to keep a copy of your e-mail to them so that, if the situation presents itself, you can show it to the collection agency and have them back off.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The hospital billed the insurance company but did not send me a bill for the balance until a year and half later.

Thank you, so to clarify, the insurance company paid everything they were supposed to and the hospital is just trying to recover the uninsured portion, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct, but it took them a year and a half later to send me a bill.

Thank you for that clarification. Under Nevada law, they have up to six years to sue you for the unpaid balance. NRS 11.190 

I know that it seems insane that they were so late in their billings to you (for the portion not covered by insurance); however, their delay does not violate current state law.

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you don't think it would do any good to file a complaint to the HCQC

Within the collective facts you've described, they are not in a position to write off the debt.

~~ J.B.