Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

Hi, I didnt file for bankruptcy but I do, however, have a

Customer Question

Hi, I didn't file for bankruptcy but I do, however, have a couple of right offs. How can I rebuild my credit?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

You will need to rebuild your current FICO score. If you haven't already you should get a copy of your credit report. On the report you will see the negative credit being reported and the amount of out standing credit you have. You can get a free copy of your credit report from each of the three major credit reporting bureaus through annualcreditreport.com.

Starting reducing your debt load. Pay off your credit cards. If you cannot fully pay them off make sure you pay on time and if possible pay a little more than is due. Late pays can be detrimental to your score. Your should try to get you debt ration under control This ration is the amount of debt divided by the amount of credit. So for example if you have $100,000 of credit and have an out standing balance of $30,000 yo are at 30%. Your number should be under 10% if possible.

If you do not have a credit card, you can try to get a secured credit card. These are cards that you pre-load with funds. As you use them you will always be on time and not increase your debt load. They won't necessarily improve your credit, but it will help you control your debt.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah but as I said, i already have a couple of right offs... what do I do about them?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

You can do nothing about the charge offs. Over time these will disappear from your credit report ( 7 years).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so whilst I have the charge offs, I can't rebuild my credit and have to wait 7 years from the time of the charge offs?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

You credit score will improve over time just from your judicious use of credit. There is nothing you can do to remove the impact of the charge offs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my judicious use of credit? Does this mean I can still get credit after the charge offs?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.
It means that you pay your bills when do ( no late pays) and you limit your use of credit. The key however is paying all your bills on time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so for the next 7 years I cannot get any credit?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

You currently have some measure of credit. Your credit score is presently vety low I am assuming (you should get a copy of your credit report and score). Over time the number will increase as you use your credit wisely. It may increase for example 50pts per year. Once the charge off are gone you will have a clean credit report. What having a poor credit score means is that you may have to pay more for credit, or some companies will not extend credit.. I have spent quite a bit of time with you. I would appreciate your giving mean positive feedback so I can get credit for the time.

Jack R., Attorney
Experience: OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thought i have accepted the answer!?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dunno how to give you feedback :(
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.
you did and I thank you.