Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

Should the arresting officers signature match on the arrest

Customer Question

Should the arresting officers signature match on the arrest report, evidence sheet, and the discovery page. And where it says There is tangible evidence in this case (i.e weapons,photos,audio/video tapes,drugs) does this mean what they have on me. And on arrest report it says Z .5 grams of meth possess are they saying that they have this to show against me.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

There is no legal requirement that signatures be an identical match. They should, of course, be reasonably similar, just as you would expect the signatures of any other individual to be similar. And yes, the list of evidence is a listing of every item of evidence that was accumulated in the investigation of the matter.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He said that it was a burnt out tag light that got me stopped then i got in the paper work that it was a drug investigation how can it be both.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

As I'm sure you can understand, I cannot possibly know what was in the mind of the officer. However, having read hundreds, perhaps thousands, of police reports, I can speculate. As to that, police officers often suspect a person of being involved in drug sales. But, if they have not established reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, they may look for a reason to detain the person. A traffic stop is often used as a pretext to come into contact with the person and, hopefully, to search them and find drugs. So long as the traffic stop is legitimate, this is perfectly lawful.

.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

.
.
.
.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law