Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

Am in Texas. My mom died and her third husband does not want

Am in Texas. My mom died and her third husband does not want to pay her estate half of community property of a car and furniture purchased during marriage. He also states he has a claim to her bank accounts which were hers prior to marriage, never had his name on them, no comingling of monies. She did not leave him anything in her will although by default he did receive her 401Ks. They lived in his house. I filed with the court via probate attorney for half the community property and kept it simple with the car and furniture-which she did contribute payments towards. Who is right?

Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Did the will have any provisions for how the estate was to be divided up. I know you stated husband was left nothing.

- Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to answer this question but will I be charged an additional fee?

You will not be charged extra, but I would like to understand what the will said about the division of property if anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The will stated "all my earthly possessions be divided equally" and named her three children. She did not mention her husband in the will. Two life insurance policies were left to me (I distributed equally with my siblings) and her IRA was left specifically to her three children...we have already rolled those into beneficiary accounts.

I was just wondering about community property because my understanding is the car and furniture in question were purchased during marriage. He has possession of those. He also has some of her separate property-furniture. I have a litigation attorney working on this but I wanted another person's advice. He tried to claim a right to her bank account-was in her name only for the last 20 years. I am the executor and moved the account into an estate account. He also wants the IRA. If it gets that involved with division of assets, do his assets come into play too as community property? It would seem to me that it would never benefit the estate of a person if only their assets are considered as community property. I wanted to keep the division simple and only ask for a monetary amount equalling half of the community property. I have bank statements showing my mom helped purchase the car and the furniture.

The separate property is to be divided according the will. The community property is 1/2 your mother's and half your step father's. From a practical matter there is little that can be done to divide a table. There may need to be payment to the estate for the value of half of the assets e.g. the car and furniture as you stated. You do not need to prove your mother helped pay. If it was purchased during marriage with community funds (money earned while married) then the asset is community property.

All marital assets must be considered as part of division of property. The only exceptions are 1) the home. As a homestead the surviving spouse may continue to live in the home until he dies, or moves from the residence. At that point the asset must be handled as any other community property and 2) property that is held jointly with a right of survivorship explicitly documented as having a right of survivorship.With a right of survivorship upon death of a joint owner the property becomes the separate property of the other joint owner.

If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.