JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

Someone has served me with an order of protection. On the form

Someone has served me with an order of protection. On the form she lists me as her ex-boyfriend. However, I was not informed we were dating. Does this improve my chances of getting it repealed?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. It would be helpful to know:

1. Do you know the person who is listed as filing the order of protection?

2. Are the underlying allegations about your contacts with them true or false?

3. Did you ever go out with this person? If not, how do you know this person?

4. Do you need to have future contact with this person?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Yes

2. Yes and No. She accuses me of sending her death threats, and that I tried to break into her home both of these things are untrue. She also lists me as suicidal armed and dangerous. I have not been suicidal for 3 months, and most people find the idea of me being armed and dangerous as laughable. However, she has an eating disorder and when I found out that she was considering going off her anti-depressants so that she could bring herself to care about loosing the weight in an unhealthy fashion I had an anxiety attack which ended in sending several texts to her phone as I was 4 hours away from her and unable to talk some real sense into her. When I 1st met her she was suicidal and cutting herself. She was put on the anti-depressants for a reason. However, these panic attacks were extreme. I would sometimes send up to 20 text messages to her. But this has not occurred since February.

3. We were best friends. We were physically involved but she was very adamant that we were not a couple. She made a point of telling me that I could not be upset with what she did with other guys because of that.

4. No, but I would like to attend the school she is attending.

Thank you for the follow-up. The court will not care whether or not she ever officially said that you two were dating. Instead, the court will look at the nature of the past contacts.

From the facts that you've described, it will not be effective to focus on the label of your acquaintance. Instead, focus on the untruthful allegations. That is what the judge will base their ruling on.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

-- J.B.