JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

In a motions hearing in a civil case, can you object during

In a motions hearing in a civil case, can you object during opposing counsel's oral argument?

Under Maryland rules, Who goes first, and does the side requesting the motion get a rebuttal when opposition is done?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

It would be helpful to know, for the motion hearing that you've described, is this a hearing where the court will be hearing testimony from witnesses or is this a motion hearing where there will just be oral argument by the attorneys/parties?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a motion to seal or shield case from public view.

There will only be oral arguments from the opposing attorney and myself (I am the defendant and filer of motion)

Thank you for the follow-up. In such a hearing, the person who filed the motion will speak first at the hearing and make there case. There are no objections at that time. If you dispute what is said, you wait until it's your turn to make your argument and that's when you can go back and dispute/object to what the other person had said. Once you are done presenting your side of the argument, yes, the judge will allow the filing party to make any reply comments.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.