How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Type Your Legal Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in the Military in Colorado Springs, Colorado and

This answer was rated:

My son is in the Military in Colorado Springs, Colorado and his soon to be ex-wife has filed for divorce in Texas. I went to court for him today as I am his (special)power of attorney and the judge said that my son needs to sign a Waiver of Service. All of the forms are from Texas stating "The state of Texas County of _____________." The problem is that the notary in Colorado can't notorize something that states County of Texas when they are in Colorado. Is that Correct?

xavierjd :

Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Hi Suzanne,

When is your son going to be discharged?

Where will he be living after his discharge?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son still has 6 years in the military. Neither wants anything from the marriage just their freedom and the divorce. My son will be living oin Texas when he is discharged from the US Army in 6 minutes.

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry for the delay. I am looking up some things for you. I will be back with an answer asap.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They got married on March 14,2011 and they separated on Septmber 11,2011 not even 6 months later.
Hi Suzanne,

It is very unfortunate that the marriage did not last. It must be VERY hard on your son because he is unable to be at any/all proceedings in Texas. And, it must be very stressful for you as his power of attorney. You must act on his behalf for some of the necessary paperwork, and it is not helpful if you are getting mixed messages regarding the notary's ability to sign the Waiver.

Documents originating from another state may be notarized as long as the notary performs the notarial act in Colorado, the signer of the document appears before the notary to acknowledge or sign the document, and the notarial certificate contains all required elements.

Obviously, your son cannot appear. However, your special power of attorney can be recognized.

Below is a link to commonly asked questions to the Colorado Secretary of State by notaries. The answer to your question is contained in B-10.

Moreover, below is a link to the Colorado Secretary of State. It is the office that governs notaries. The notary can contact the Secretary of State if s/he has any hesitation about notarizing the waiver.

When a notary "notarizes" a document, there is a requirement for verification of identity, an oath, a requirement that the document is signed in the notary's presence and there is specific language that must be included. The notary should know all of the requirements.

The notary that you contacted may not have been aware of the provision that allows him/her to notarize out of state documents. You may wish to contact another notary and/or verify the answer contained within the Q & A as described in B-10 as described above. You can verify the information with the Secretary of State before you contact another notary, or go to another notary who may be more informed.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!


xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
xavierjd and 15 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have further questions, you can specifically request me as the expert.

Thanks again,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.