How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was adopted whenI was around 10. I am now 20. And I was just

Customer Question

I was adopted whenI was around 10. I am now 20. And I was just wondering if its possible if I am able to get emancipated. My adopted parents are in their 90's and I moved out when I was 17. I'm legaally providing for myself. I'm not financially dependent on them. I'm trying to get into school but FAFSA is telling me that they need their tax information. But they've refused to do that since i graduated high school. I was just hoping I could get some insight on what to do.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Unfortunately, as an adult over 18 you are already legal adult and legal emancipation would not apply to you.

Unfortunately for the purposes of Financial Aid, if you answered No to the questions contained at the official FAFSA website at the link below you would be considered a dependent student and you would have to provide information related to your adoptive parents finances / income, as they are considered your legal parents:

If you are unable to obtain information that is required for FAFSA from your elderly parents, then you would need to consult with your school's financial aid office / adviser and they will be able to help you with alternative options to pay for your college tuition.

Once again I am sorry to provide you with this tough answer and I wish that there were some other options, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when such answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?