Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

if a parent gives you a gift before they die in front of witnesses

if a parent gives you a gift before they die in front of witnesses and is not in will does that person have to pay estate
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. There is only estate tax due on assets owned by a person at death. If an asset is given prior to death, then that asset is not subject to any estate or inheritance tax because it was not owned by the decedent at death. Assets gifted during life are governed by gift tax law. The recipient is not subject to gift tax. And, from the donor's perspective, there should also be no gift tax consequences. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, each person has a $5,120,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,120,000 in gifts without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative gifts have exceeded the $5,120,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5 family members , all but one agree and believes that person thinks the recipient should pay , other things were distrubuted except that with no little problem

Thanks for your follow up. It doesn't make any difference what the one thinks. The law determines whether tax is owed, not that person. If it was a gift during life, then there is legally no estate tax.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!