BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

I am attempting to locate my deceased mother and fathers life

I am attempting to locate my deceased mother and father's life insurance policies and potential stocks that they may have acquired since my sister and I are the beneficiaries. In doing my research, I have found many of the insurance companies and financial institutions that they had purchased policies or bought stocks from merged with several other companies over the years. What is the best way to locate if these policies are still valid without knowing who they've merged with?

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight.

BizAttorney :

The cheapest and easiest source is to research who acquired the insurance company and financial institution. First you should find where the company incorporated as a company. Go first to your Secretary of State's website and find out if it is a domestic corporation or if the company is in another state. If the company merged, then there will be dissolution paperwork filed with thIf you have stock certificates, then you can take them into a company such as Fidelity Investments and they will identify if those certificates are still valid.e secretary of state, that will show if the stock was acquired (merged with another company) or just went out of business. If that doesn't work, you can pay an attorney to research it for you, bou haveut there is no guarantee that the company is still in business.

BizAttorney :

Did you have any other questions?

Customer:

What if I only have account numbers from the insurance companies and the financial institutions, but not the actual applications or stock certificates? I do have their estate plan which lists my sister and I as the beneficiaries and their death certificates.

BizAttorney :

Have you opened a probate for your deceased mother and father already?

BizAttorney :

If you have, then you can subpoena documents from the companies and get all of the information they have, if any.

Customer:

Like I mentioned they had an estate plan, and I am the trustee for it. However, my father, being the private man he was didn't keep his financial records in order and didn't update them as these companies merged. I was hoping that I could avoid probate since it is legally recorded that any remaining assets go 50/50 to my sister and I. Can I just send the states a copy of the estate plan and their death certificates?

BizAttorney :

Yes, they will need copies of those and then they will work with you. They won't send you all of the records though unless you subpoena them.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you

BizAttorney :

You are welcome and good luck! Have a good night and please leave feedback for me before you go so I can continue to help others.