Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

Hello - I live in California. I recently witnessed an incident

Hello -

I live in California. I recently witnessed an incident that took place in the street in front of my home during a visit from the sheriff's dept. captain, his lieutenant, the town manager and the deputy town manager. A deputy requested a statement from me and I learned real quickly that the captain of the sheriff's department wasn't pleased with my statement as it conflicted with his claim that somebody tried to run him over with a motorcycle. I've learned that the biker has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon against a police officer. It's been a week and I thought the biker's attorney would surely have contacted me by now to discuss my statement. I contacted the sheriff's department and requested a copy of my statement but they said I could not see it. Is there any way at all to see what was attributed to me in the statement?

Police reports become a matter of public record if charges are formally filed against the accused. This does not happen upon the police department making an arrest, it happens upon the prosecuting attorney making a formal filing decision. If the prosecutor's office files charges against this person, your statement then becomes a matter of public record and you could then get a copy.

As to the biker's attorney, I would suggest that there are several possibilities. For one, it is certainly possible that the biker has not yet obtained an attorney. If he has obtained an attorney, the attorney may still be waiting to see what charges, if any, the prosecutor files. Additionally, he may want to review the entirety of the evidence before contacting any witnesses. Further, some attorneys do not contact witnesses directly and, instead, only speak with witnesses at depositions.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.