Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My parents own a dry cleaning business. Recently, there have

My parents own a dry cleaning business. Recently, there have been many accounts of violent activity surrounding the business property. My parents have been threatened by the police that their business will be shut down by the city due to the recent increase in violent activity. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about in defending my parents' business. We as a family are very worried and are not sure whether we should take the statement seriously or not!?

No it is not possible. The police and the city do not have the authority to shut down a business simply because there is violent crime in the area. Only if the business itself were involved in some type of criminal activity would the city have the authority to come in and inspect and possibly seize the business pending a criminal trial.

In the meantime, you should get the name of the police officer or officers that told you that your business would be closed. I would then ask that officer's superior for a clarification of the officer's statement or claim, and under what authority they would have the authority to close your business. If your parents have a local attorney that they use or are familiar with, I would have them use this attorney to make these inquiries.