LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

My neighbor diverted water away from my underground sprinkler

My neighbor diverted water away from my underground sprinkler system in July 2006. The repair bill for my irrigation pump was $1500. Is the statute of limitations still open for damage to real property?

Hello Aurie,
My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.
Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.
Accordingly, I will speak candidly rather than doing you the disservice of lying or misleading you. I didn't enact the law, and personally I often disagree with it, but nevertheless we're all stuck with it. I just wouldn't do you the disservice of lying or misleading you. So, here's the truth.
Pursuant to Oregon Revised Statutes §12.080, your claim is time-barred. The limitations period for filing such a cause of action is six years from the date of the occurrence.
I am sorry.
If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.
I truly hope all works out for you.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand that damage to personal property has a six year SOL, but I beleive this is damage to real property since the irrigation system is buried under the surface of the land. Does a ten year SOL apply?

Hi there,

Thanks for writing back...great to hear from you!

No, and here's why, for a couple of reasons.
First, the plain language of Oregon Revised Statutes §12.080 speaks to "real property".
Secondly, the 10-year limitations period codified at Oregon Revised Statutes § 12.135 is quite narrow and tailored to address only "construction, alteration or repair of a small commercial structure" and so forth.
Believe me, I would love to say otherwise, but I just won't lie to you. The law governing the limitations period is just not favorable, I truly regret to say.
Kind regards,

Ben, J.D.
Hello Aurie,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, J.D.