xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
14261217

I live in Colorado and my dog bit another dog while on a walk.

Customer Question

I live in Colorado and my dog bit another dog while on a walk. Animal control has documented the incident and found no reason to pursue criminal charges. I of course told the owner of the bitten dog that i would pay any vet bills. He called me after leaving the clinic and told me that the bill was $160. We decided to settle on things in a couple of days so I received an email from him today. He has "bills" in the amount of $600 for vet cost/confidence building classes, which again i am fine paying. I responded that I was willing to pay as long as he signed a document stating that he would not pursue any further actions against myself or my property. He is unwilling to sign such a document but is willing to sign a receipt for the money. Should I accept this resolution, or is he setting me up for further extortion later?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What is a "confidence building" class?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i guess to help his dog not be afraid of other dogs after this "traumatic" incident

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brittany,

It sounds like he is "milking" the incident and you for all that he can get. I want to look up something for you and will be back with an answer for you asap.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is what I felt. I would rather be taken to court and have a permanent unbiased decision made. I am more than willing to be responsible for anything I should be, but I do not want to be extorted.

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brittany,

Before you pay the additional $600, you should ask for itemized statements for the vet bill(s) and for the "confidence building" class. Moreover, you should ask for proof of completion of the class.

Upon being presented with the itemized statements, you may wish to write a letter to him indicating that the enclosed check represents payment in full for any and all expenses incurred as a result of the incident on xxx date. You should pay a certified check and in the memo section put "paid in full for incident on xxx date."

If you keep paying bills without getting verification, the owner of the dog that was bitten will keep finding ways to milk money from you.

You may be responsible for the vet bills, and MAYBE for the class, but beyond that, you should NOT BE RESPONSIBLE for any other "damages" as a result of the dog bite.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!

XavierJD

Unless he produces verification of the vet bills and certification of the completion of the "confidence building class," you shouldn't pay him. He could sue you in small claims court. However, if he does, he will have to produce verification of the vet bills, etc.
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brittany,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating and for the generous bonus! Both are greatly appreciated. I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,

xavierjd