dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

My nephew passed away before he and his finance could marry.

My nephew passed away before he and his finance could marry. She and her two children have been living with me since that happened which was over a year ago. She would like me to adopt her so she could have my name and feel part of my nephew's family. I do not object to adopting her. I know there isn't a problem. Could you please tell me the procedures and possibly the cost involved. She is 38 years old. We live in TN.
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Note, what you are asking about is called an adult adoption because the person you are adopting is over 18. And the procedure is quite simple. To begin, both of you need to go to the closest state court, (not federal) and ask the clerk for adult adoption forms. Fill them out and both of you must sign them. Then file them with the court. The court will then give you a copy of the petition which must be published in a nespaper and the clerk will give you the list of newspapers that will do this. After it is published, you will need to appear in court to finalize the matter. I wish you well.