Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I live in Maryland. My wife has filed civil suit against an

I live in Maryland. My wife has filed civil suit against an individual in Anne Arundel civil court. The trial is this coming Tuesday March 19th. However, my wife has physical disabilities and within the past month, her condition has gotten worse. We filled a motion 16 days ago for a continuance due to her aggravated physical condition and to allow her time to get the numerous tests done that have been requested by the doctor. We just got notice yesterday that the court denied her motion to continue the case. What options do we have to get this case postponed in such a short period of time? She is representing herself. If we did decide today to hire an attorney, would the court be likely to allow continuance for representation? Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your wife's difficult situation.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You

Hello again, Tim. You are very welcome.

You are exactly right that retaining an attorney to appear in the case would likely grant your wife more time. Since the court has denied her motion to continue the case based on her medical condition, hiring a local attorney to represent her would typically represent her best opportunity to get the hearing date continued as courts usually grant a continuance to a new attorney to permit them to familiarize him or herself with the case. That is done quite routinely, so I would expect a continuance to be granted if an attorney entered their appearance before the hearing and requested a continuance.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have: