Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I am newly married and about 6 weeks ago I lent my husbands

I am newly married and about 6 weeks ago I lent my husband's son $1,000.00 with the understanding that once his loan came through from his credit union I would be reimbursed. He has only payed me $300.00 I would have never lent him the money. I trusted that his word was good. I am now having difficulty meeting my financial obligations for the month of March. Is there anything that I can do? My husband has Parkinsons Disease and I have serious health issues. Thank You Constance Mary Yfantopoulos

Your legal remedy would be to take your husband's son to a small claims court to recover the balance of the loan that is owed. Before taking him to court, you could try warning him that if he does not pay the balance you will take him to small claims court, and this might scare him into paying. Small claims courts offer simple procedures where attorneys are not needed such that anyone can easily commence a lawsuit against someone to recover money owed. If the loan is in writing you will easily win your case. If the loan was not in writing, he can still win a judgment but you will have to prove to the court the terms of the loan, and that the son agreed to the terms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX advice. This is what I thought would be the case. Your knowledge has confirmed what I felt would be the way to proceed. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Yfantopoulos