BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

living with boyfriend nine years big fight both went to jail

living with boyfriend nine years big fight both went to jail after 6months hes taking me to small claims court over things broken in fight saying 3000 for things he said he didn't wont that I got read of a while back what should I do
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 1 year ago.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. In order to better assist you, I need to ask you a few questions. Did you get money for selling his things?

Customer:

150 for lawn mower he said he didn't wont it

BizAttorney :

He is suing you for $150?

BizAttorney :

Or for $3000 and you only received $150.

Customer:

3000 for other things in house he didn't wont

BizAttorney :

He is the plaintiff, so he will have to prove that you took the items and then disposed of them. If he didn't want them, then the judge's decision will hinge on whether the judge believes you or your boyfriend. He was in jail, so he is already not a trustworthy source.

BizAttorney :

You will need to have a defense, such as he didn't want the things. Emails, witnesses, letters, anything that would support your defense would be beneficial to you.

BizAttorney :

Small claims court is informal, so the judge will let most of the evidence into court.

Customer:

if he has proof that he bought this things does that proof anything

BizAttorney :

No it does not.

Customer:

so how should I defend myself?and just say I don't know

BizAttorney :

No, remember everything. State he went to jail and you stayed in the apartment/house. Did he tell you he didn't want those items? If so, when and how?

Customer:

there was a police officer there but don't know if I can get statement from him

Customer:

there was also a break in at the house cause no one was living there

BizAttorney :

That is good. Get a copy of the police report, as they may have noted the broken items in the report. Your defense should be that items were broken in the fight and that you threw them away. Also note the break in date and say anything that was taken that wasn't broken was taken then.

Customer:

thanks

BizAttorney :

You are very welcome! Have a great night and please leave me feedback so that I can continue to help others.

BizAttorney :

Take care!

BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience: Over 12 years of business and legal experience.