BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

We have been married for 34 years no children I am a disabled

Customer Question

We have been married for 34 years no children I am a disabled veteran and 60 years old.
I had a heart attack in June. I did find a job making a salary of 65,000.00 a year no bonuses
or raises at top of salary level. I work in the construction industry.
My wife walked out leaving me with the bills. She is 57 and has worked for the same company 13 years an her salary is $135,000.00 a year she got a $10,000.00 RAISE to 145,000.00 & a 10,000.00 bonuses. She is in the IT field. how much spousal support should I be going after. I realize this is a strange event as the situation is normally reversed.

Old Man
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 1 year ago.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight.

BizAttorney :

It depends on what type of lifestyle you were accustomed to before she left. What state are you in?

BizAttorney :

Are you there still?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

middle class have 3 children all are out of the house.we payed for them to do travel sports gymnastics(club), power tumbling (club), swim and dive (club), and Dance. Bought each of them a car. We had a Suburban with 30 foot camping trailer. Stayed in 4 star hotels for National Sports companionship compositions around the State and Country.Paid for their college. Our house is 4500 sq ft with a in ground swimming pool, hot tub, sauna on a 1/2 acre lot . Motor cycles. We went to shows @ Kennedy center, Warner theater in Washington DC. Up ward Middle class I guess. before the housing market an construction I made $85,000.00 that was 5 years ago.

The court will consider the following criteria to decide on alimony in your case:

• Ability of the party seeking alimony to be self-supporting;
  • Time necessary for the party seeking alimony to gain sufficient education or training to enable that party to secure suitable employment;
  • Standard of living that the parties established during their marriage but giving consideration to the fact that there will be two households to maintain;
  • Duration of the marriage;
  • Circumstances which contributed to the estrangement of the parties;
  • Age of each party;
  • Physical and mental condition of each party;
  • Ability of the party from who alimony is sought to meet his or her needs while meeting the needs of the other party; and
  • Financial needs and financial resources of each party.

The Court will take both of your incomes and all of your expenses and then factor in everything I typed above. As you make less, the Court should order her to pay some to you in order to help level out the income. I can't say an amount for certain as all of those factors will play a part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know pretty much the above response I was hoping for more of say a percentage of the difference between our income and some kind of time duration. I wasn't sure if there is a rule of thumb as to being married this long. I will never be able to make what or even near what she does as my resumes responses have been that I am over qualified and under educated because I only have an Associates Degree in Construction Management.

It is more of a monthly dollar amount rather than a percentage. It should be anywhere between $1,000-$2,500. The duration of any support arrangement is dependent on the circumstances of the parties. Usually, long-term marriages tend to receive lengthier spousal support awards if the interests of justice demand alimony. I would anticipate that you will get alimony for the remainder of your life if you remain unmarried because you were married for so long.

The parties may also agree to some other settlement, such as a lump sum award if it will be better for them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ThanxSmiletitle="Smile"/>

You are very welcome! Have a great night and please give me feedback so I can continue to help others.
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience: Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much I tried to give you a gratuity, this site was difficult. The next time if needed I will have a Paypal account set up,

Thanks again for the outstanding service and explanation

I plan to seek the life time

Thank you for your comment and feedback!