Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My wife is using my private pictures I sent by email to create

My wife is using my private pictures I sent by email to create several Craigslist ads that have my Name, my picture, and an allegation that I am a sexual predator who tried to rape her (she's posing as someone else). I sent a harassment notice to Craigslist.
As for my wife and I...we were trying to work things out but this happened while we were separated. I found out because a really good friend of mine saw the post and informed me of it. This is embarrasing! please help me, what can I do?

Hi, Adrian, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to help, but need a bit more information,

1. Did you receive a response from Craigslist to your claim of harassment by your wife ?

2. Have you reconciled with your wife ?

3. Could you be just a little more specific in your question because "Please help me, What can I do? " is rather broad

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to your reply,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I haven't received a response from Craigslist as this just happened earlier this evening.

2. We haven't reconciled yet, but were seeing a marriage counselor and had agreed to try

3. I'm not sure if I have a legal right to sue my wife, to begin with--I'm not even sure I want to yet but this seems wrong and if push comes to shove I may need to sue her or do something that keeps her from doing this ever again

Hi, Adrian, Thank you for your reply and your additional information,

1. The first thing you should do is to contact craigslist immediately and demand that they take down whatever your wife posted on their website under the assumed name she used. They are usually very good about policing their website and removing harassing postings such as the one your wife posted because they do not want to get sued;

2. If a husband and wife are attempting to resolve their differences and attempting to reconcile, I do not believe that any Court would hear a case brought by a husband against a wife;

3. There is no way that one can be guaranteed that another person will not repeat their actions against you. Even if you and your wife were to ultimately get divorced and she posted things like this on craigslist and you sued her and obtained an injunction which is a Court Order to either do, or refrain from doing a certain act, she could still post these things. She would be subject to penalties imposed on her for being in Contempt of Court and those penalties include incarceration, but what I am saying is that nobody can physically stop another from doing something as long as they are prepared to accept the penalties for going against a Court Order,

If you need clarification, please use the "Reply" button to let me know, and I will be glad to explain further,

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service", If you are given a survey, please be kind enough to leave some Positive Feedback, I would appreciate it greatly,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2. Did I understand correctly that there isn't a court that would hear this case so long as we're trying to resolve our differences? Does this imply that they would be more willing to do so if we have decided not to work through these differences?

3. I understand I can't physically stop her from posting whatever it is she wants to post, but would it be a good idea to let her know that I'm aware of these postings (because she doesn't know that I know yet) and to warn her that she could get into some legal trouble for doing this?

Good morning, Adrian, Thank you for your follow up questions and the opportunity to explain further,

In Answer to your questions,

1. That is correct. This comes from the legal theory that a husband and wife become one legal entity once they are married. As long as you are husband and wife, and especially if you are together and trying to reconcile, neither can sue the other.

2. Whether or not you should tell your wife that you are aware of what she has done is up to you and it is a decision that only you can make. However, I believe that the foundation of all relationships is honesty and mutual respect and if those qualities are absent, the relationship will eventually collapse,

ANDREA