TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

i am going through a divorce. My husband has 2 social security

i am going through a divorce. My husband has 2 social security numbers and has used them interchangeably throughout his career in different jobs. He only reported one on his financial disclosure for the divorce. Is this illegal and what is the penalty? Can he go to jail? I have w2 forms as proof.

Using two different social security numbers is social security fraud. This can result in a monetary penalty and jail, in an amount and time dependent on the amount of fraud he has committed.

You may report suspected social security fraud at:

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not suspect, I have in my possession w2 forms from different jobs with 2 separate ss#'s. he told me yrs ago it was a mistake at birth. That alone, with out hidden assets found(yet). What is the penalty? we are in a custody battle for our 5 yr old. My Lawyer is on vacation. Anxious for some good news.
As I said, the penalty will depend on how much he has defrauded the government. The fine will be up to $5,000.00 for each violation (each time he used the fax social security number).

He can be sentenced for imprisonment for up to 15 years and it is a federal felony.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I love u
Glad to make your day!

Please rate my answer positively (the website does not release payment to me for my work until you do).