How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

on personal injury what all am i looking at to ask for and

This answer was rated:

on personal injury what all am i looking at to ask for and how long should i hold
it open?What am i entitled to?Thank you, Marilyn

I'm a personal injury specialist and a Texas attorney. I'd be happy to assist you.

Will you please answer the following questions:

1. How long ago was the car wreck?

2. Do you have any injuries?

3. Did you receive medical treatment for those injuries?

4. How much did the medical treatment cost?

5. Was your vehicle damaged?

6. How much did it cost to repair the damage?

7. Have you filed a claim with either your insurance or the other drivers insurance?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1happened Feb 16 2013
2yes some,, Right eye cut, bruises, rib contussions, chin knee scraped


arms ache air bags hit face

3 yes

4emergency room, abulance exrays meds



7 yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i aswered your questions didnt i?


Thank you for responding. Please be patient in waiting for a response.

There are two paths you can go down at this point.

1. Since you have contacted the other drivers insurance, they will look at the wreck and in a few weeks will make you a settlement offer. You should insist that the offer include your medical bills and an amount to replace your vehicle. The amount of insurance that the other person had is probably limited at $30,000.00. So you can get up to that amount. However, the insurance company will not give you anything for pain and suffering, and may attempt to not pay your full medical costs or give you anything for any other treatment you may need.

2. The other option is to go contact a personal injury attorney. They are likely going to be able to get you a much higher amount that you would get on your own and may be able to get you access to medical treatment if you do not have health insurance. The down side of course is that the attorney takes around 1/3 of whatever you end up getting. If you want an attorney to represent you, you don't have to wait for anything and you can contact one now.

So, in summary, you need to ask for 1) full replacement cost of your vehicle (this will be what it takes to get an exact replacement...not a brand new car); 2) rental car while your car is being replaced; 3) full payment of your hospital bills; 4) any other medical treatment you need to get; and 5) lost wages that have resulted from you missing work because of the wreck. You need to figure out what the number is (I can't tell you based on the information you've given me). And once you get a number for each one of the above factors, you need to send a written demand to the other drivers insurance adjuster (so you will need to contact them and get their name and mailing address).

Please let me know if you have more questions. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They settled on the car and said the injury claim is seperate im to see my dr.3-11-13 and they are to get back with me

what all should i ask dr.?

also only gave us rental 3 days it is difficult this way

Thats why I thought I should contact you

It is typical to settle an injury claim separately from the property damage claim. If you have already settled for the car, then you will not be able to get anything more for a rental.

The only thing you can recover on now is for your injury. And for this, you need to be patient, because you don't know how much it is going to cost at this point.

How much did they settle with you for the car?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6000 2000 buick lesabre?sp

That means you likely have $24,000 remaining under the policy which may be used to compensate you for medical treatment.

If you go the route of not getting an attorney, you are most likely not going to have any money that is given to you directly. Rather, it will only go to pay for any medical expenses you may get as a result of your injuries. If you want money for pain and suffering, generally Texas insurance companies will only give this to you if you have an attorney representing you.

When you go to a doctor, you need to ask whether there are any permanent injuries from this wreck and to ask him to thoroughly examine you for neck and back injuries especially, looking for things like pinched nerves or herniated discs. It is best to try and get treatment for these type of injuries early on, as the longer you wait, the worse they may get.

The insurance company will not pay you until after you have incurred the medical expenses. In other words, when you settle for your medical portion of your claim, you will be seeking reimbursement. If you do not have health insurance or money to pay for medical treatment up front, you need to go see a personal injury attorney who can give you access to doctors who will treat you and take payment after you receive your settlement.

Do you understand?
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Im still learning about computers and lots of things.

God bless you and pray you know jesus as your personal savior.Hes



coming back soon you know! We were created to love God.

Luke 10:25-28 John 3:16

Love Marilyn

God Bless you too!


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions