How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

filing a contract lawsuit against university of XXXXX XXXXX.

This answer was rated:

filing a contract lawsuit against university of XXXXX XXXXX. my son got suspended the second day of the semester and they wont give me my money back for that semester. I cant find anyting on thier website that says a suspended student loses their money
Thank you for your question.

For what reason was your son suspended?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

admitted to smoking weed. he wasnt caught with it but admitted to it when coming back to his room after a fire drill


Suspensions for breaching a code of conduct at a university often can result in a loss of the tuition paid. However, I am unable to find anything where they disclose this as well.

In addition to filing a breach of contract lawsuit, you should also look into filing an appeal


If your son was not given a fair hearing or if there was no due process involved in deciding to suspend him, then this may be appealed internally.

It seems to me that even if it is a policy of the university, it does not make it an unconscionable term which can be disputed in a breach of contract lawsuit. Your son would technically be the one who needs to file the lawsuit, because he was the one enrolled (assuming he is 18 years old).

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we went through the appeal process with the school. No luck. after being told sorry he is being suspended I asked about getting my money back. Thats when i was told it is their policy not to give back the funds. should I (or son) file sui with attorney general in that count? Ho do I go about doing that. Just a letter from my son laying out all the details?

How much was the tuition you are seeking to have refunded?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about $8,000 was total amount paid for the semester. I would nt expect to get back room amount but i would expect to get tuition and board.

Unfortunately, the small claims court limit in Virginia is $5,000.00. If you are intending on representing yourself, this would be the best place to file the lawsuit, but you can only claim $5,000.00.

Otherwise, you will need to file the lawsuit in a the general district court, which follows the Rules of Procedure and the Rules of Evidence. There are pleading rules which make it much more difficult then simply writing a letter to the court. You must file an official claim in the format required by the rules. The format looks like the document at:

Otherwise, you will need to hire an attorney to conduct the case for you.

If you want to proceed via small claims court and only claim $8,000.00, then let me know and I will provide you with relevant information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll go small claims court and go for $5,000. How do I do that?

You will have to file the small claims case in Fredricksburg. In Fredricksburg, the district court also sits as the small claims court. The court is located and may be contacted at:

Here is a guide to filing small claims that explains in detail the steps you will need to take:

The form you will file is located here:

In the form, you will ask for $5,000.00 and claim breach of contract.

Please let me know if there are any other questions you have. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated for my work on your question by the website.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions