Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I picked up my pawned items and was told they were accidently

I picked up my pawned items and was told they were accidently scraped. I have already typed in this story..
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

I hate when you type something and then the computer eats it.

When you say scraped, do you mean they were destroyed?

Were you within the time limits of your pawn agreement to pick up the items?

How much were the items worth?

-ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was told they were melted down for scrap gold, however they contained many diamonds which cannot be melted. I still had 60 days left on my pawn contract, had paid the loan off early the items were worth approx $1,700

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
They have definitely breached their pawn agreement. You can sue them in small claims court for the $1,700 plus court costs. If you need to know how to do a small claims court claim, tell me and also let me know what city and state the pawn shop is in. I will get you the information you need to start the claim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do need that info on small claims court and how to go about it. the city is Norristown, PA

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Montgomery County does not post any forms online. However, you can call: Ph:(NNN) NNN-NNNN which is the phone number for the Magisterial District Court and ask to talk to the clerk. Tell the clerk you want to file a small claims lawsuit and ask them where you can get the Claim Form. You will likely have to go down to the courthouse to pick one up, but they'll tell you where it is.

Then all you have to do is fill out the form and file it. You will need to know the legal name of the pawnshop. It should be on your pawn paper work. When you file it, you will be required to pay the filing fee, which will be around $100.00 - $170.00 (they don't list their prices and it depends on how much you are asking).

After you file the claim, the will give you a summons. The summons and a copy of the lawsuit will need to be served on the Defendant. The clerk will provide you with options of how that can be done. You can either have a friend do it (but they have to follow the rules listed on the following|: http://www.pennsylvaniaprocess.com/rules.html) or you can ask that the Sheriff does it (which generally carries another charge).

Next, the court will schedule the hearing. All you have to do is bring your pawn paper work down and show it to the court and tell the judge what happened. It's relatively simple...like Judge Judy.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question.

Thanks and Good Luck,
ZDN
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate it if you rated my question positively. I'm not paid anything until you do so and I spent time work on your question. It is not an additional charge, as I am only paid a portion of what you paid the website, but that won't happen until you rate my question positively.

Thanks,
ZDN