How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My soon to be ex-husband and mother-in-law made a false referral

Resolved Question:

My soon to be ex-husband and mother-in-law made a false referral to the BON because he went back to jail for a probation revocation while we were separated and they thought I turned him in. They have already admitted they done it to be vindictive and "out of spite" and I have text and letters from them stated such. This is a horrible situation for any nurse to go through especially when it is unvalidated. I am divorcing him and have every intention of sueing her for Libel since she filled out the form and signed it because it would "look" better if she did instead of him since he was going back to jail for a second time on a drug related charge. Can you advise?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
When you say they made a false referral, what exactly did they say and what has the result been?

Have they told anyone else?

Did the Board of Nursing take any action because of their statements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He uses meth and decided that I would be viewed as "guilty by association" since I am married to him. We have been separated since last July. He told me that they said I used "speed" in August and was bringing home Morphine from the hospital. The board sent me a little without ever investigating asking me if I wanted to accept enrollment in the TPAPN program; which I politely declined. They have told anyone who will listen. My case has been referred back to the board for further investigation. I have been a nurse 20 yrs and have NEVER been referred, reprimanded, etc. I have never used drugs and have never had a positive urinalysis. I have had two random drug screens for pre-employment agency work in the last two months. I'm thinking with the letter he has written me and all the texts I have from both of them, that it should resolve without issue. However, this is not a good place for any nurse to be in, innocent or not. It leaves you with a "stigma".

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
I see.

What I recommend is printing out everything you have from him stating he is lying and is trying to be vindictive and putting it into a formal response letter to the BON stating that you have been defamed by the false allegations, that you have proof of the false allegations attached, asking them to drop the investigation immediately and remove any reference to it from your file. You would probably be taken more seriously if you had a local attorney write the letter for you on their firm letter head.

You can also sue your ex for defamation, but unless they have any money to pay a judgment it would not be worth it.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I will be compensated by the website for my work on your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you and I will begin that process with the board. My only other clarification is this. Since his mom filled out the form and signed her name as complianant, it would be her I needed to cite in a suit correct? And is it possible for me to prepare and file the Tort of Libel myself and if so, where can I find those forms?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

You would sue both your ex mother in law and your ex.

You can indeed sue them both. The tort is called "defamation" (libel is no longer used in Texas law and has been combined with slander to be called defamation).

If you were to sue yourself, you would bring the claim in the small claims court where they live. The limit of what you can ask for in damages is $10,000.00. The form for making this claim can be found at the small claims court itself. You can find the small claims court address by for example, googling "Houston small claims court" or "Dallas justice of the peace". This will get you to the website which have the address where you need to file the suit. Each county uses different forms, and some post their forms on line.

You would need to bring evidence with you (the BON letter) showing that their statements hurt your professional reputation. The court can then give a judgment for an award in your favor.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate your assistance. Even though some may think this trivial, I am good at what i do and nobody should try to take someone's career and way of life away from them out of true evilness. I don't care if they have a dime and I get nothing, it is now a matter of principal for me. Again, thank you so much!

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
I don't think its trivial and I'm glad I could help you. I hope you get the justice you deserve.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.