TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

If I receive a judgement in Maryland for $1500 what can I do

Customer Question

If I receive a judgement in Maryland for $1500 what can I do with judgement to collect in the state of Pennsylvania can I levy bank accounts or can I place a lien on vehicle or is this uncollectible if person has no assets
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You can take a certified copy of the Maryland judgment and register it in the courts in Pennsylvania.

You will need to register it in the courts of the county where the defendant lives, works, or has assets. Pennsylvania does allow wage garnishment, so as long as the defendant has a job, you can collect something. You will need to conduct an investigation to determine whether the defendant is working in order to petition the court for the wage garnishment.

Please let me know if you have further questions.\

-ZDN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know person is not working and has been caught collecting unemployment illegally has no assets to speak of besides a paid off Toyota Rava are vehicles off limits or is this one of these things that is just another life lesson.I am on full disability and this does hurt I do not want to purse of its a lost cause
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
If the person has no assets and is not working, then it is a lost cause. Generally, a person may have a vehicle worth under $2,775. If the vehicle is worth more than that, it may be seized and sold. The proceeds of the sale would first go to pay any lien holder, then the debtor's $2,775 allotment. Then the rest would go to you.

So, if its a newer car and you think he does't have financing on it, then it might worth a try to collect by filing a writ of execution on it.