How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was living with my in-laws when there was a house fire. Our

This answer was rated:

I was living with my in-laws when there was a house fire. Our content claim was finalized and the check was sent to my mother-in-law whose name the insurance is under. The inventory list showed the amount for each floor. Now my mother-in-law doesn't want to give me the full amount of the money that is my share. Do I have any legal rights? How do I go about getting the money for my stuff that was damaged in the fire. Please help me!!!

Yes, you have a claim in equity against your mother in law for the portion of the insurance benefits that are to reimburse for your property less the cost of insurance. She does not have a right to claim for property that was not hers on an insurance policy. However, she has a right to reimbursement of a proportional amount of the insurance costs that you would have had to pay.

Have you told her that claiming property on her insurance that is not hers would be considered insurance fraud? I would tell her this, and then tell her that you will reimburse her for your portion of the fire insurance contents policy in exchange for her paying you the amount due to you.

If she does not agree, you could sue her, but you'd have to do this in the district court (court of general jurisdiction), as it is an equity claim.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I am compensated for my work on your question by the website.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I am entitled to that money for my contents right? I thought that I may not be able to get it because the insurance policy is under her name. What are some steps I should take incase she refuses to give me the money?

You have a potential equitable claim for the money that you could assert in court. It's not a sure fire win of a case.

Although she did have the insurance, she did not have an insurable interest in your property and thus is not entitled to keep the insurance proceeds. Ultimately, the insurance company is actually entitled to take the proceeds back because she committed fraud by claiming them as her contents when in fact the property belonged to you.

Thus, you could file a claim in court and ask for an equitable portion of the proceeds. You would have to sue her. How much do you believe she owes you and in what state are you located?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am located in PA. My amount for my damaged content is 47,545.62. She only wants to give me 24,000 and keep the rest for herself.

You are going to face a hard time getting more than 24,000.00 and pay a lot more in attorney's fees to get the extra $20+.

Again, this is because she would have a claim for an equitable reimbursement for a portion of the insurance costs she incurred while you were there. Also, this would be an extremely difficult legal claim to bring that would require a top notch insurance lawyer to bring. The law does not allow you to recover attorneys fees and a claim like this would cost at least $30,000 for the kind of attorney you would need to file it.

That being said, the $24,000 offer seems fair. However, you could push for more by reminding her that she has committed insurance fraud, and you could report her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I figure that much. I'm trying to not let things go that route. I only lived there for 1 1/2 years. I'm sure her insurance policy for that time period didn't amount to 23,000. I would have gladly given her 10k which I think is fair, but I just wanted to know what my options are since she refuses to give me what I am due. Sorry for going on and on.

No problem. I'm sorry this happened to you, as certainly its not right that she keeps the money.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.