TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

My wife and I manage a medical practice. We would like to

My wife and I manage a medical practice. We would like to be able to take a patient who comes into the office and have their vitals taken by a medical assistant (which we know is legal) and then put them on skype to have a conversation/interview with a nurse practitioner (who basically functions like the doctor). Is it legal to have the nurse practitioner do their interview/exam with the patient over skype and then have the nurse order blood work and prescribe appetite suppressants?

Thank you for your question.

The NP may not prescribe medicine (including appetite suppressants) via skype or other telemedicine procedures. California requires that a physical examination take place by the prescribing medical provider.